Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Waxing and Weaning


Today the temperature plummeted and wind scraped the rest of the leaves from the emaciated branches.  In front of the car, curled and dry, the leaves went tumbling, skittering, scrape-wheeling across cement peppered with drops of rain.  It's not really legitimate to complain about the weather; the last weeks have been blissful.  The sky a continuous parachute of blue, trees fanning their bronze-ey wares, temperatures permitting us walk after walk without the fuss of mittens or hats or blankets tucked beneath thighs.

Last weekend we went to Trego, Wisconsin for Holden on the Road.  We saw friends and family and went for hikes through the woods and ate doughnut holes and drank too much coffee.  Daddy did a session on the ethics of the PolyMet mine and I did a session on nature writing and Thisbe played the Frozen matching game with Grandpa Mark and constructed jigsaw puzzles with Grandma Dot.

You and I didn't go to Vespers.  Instead we sat on a chair between two wooden bunk beds, beside a dresser filled with your Robeez slippers and Thisbe's cheetah leggings, facing a window outside of which the light stretched from golden to umber behind the black vertical stalks of trees.  I nursed you and while I nursed I sang all of Holden Vespers, off key and out of tune, "God of daybreak / God of shadows / come and light our hearts anew."  And somewhere in there, as the light behind the trees smudged into the darker forms of the trees themselves I decided that this would be the last time I would nurse you.  I'd been thinking about it for a long time.  You've only been nursing at bedtime for months now and I knew that I would definitely stop next month, when Daddy and I go away for three days.

I don't remember the last time I nursed Thisbe.  I didn't think it mattered to remember because I thought there would be another baby and I was so ready to have my body become entirely again my own.  And I didn't feel sad to wean Thisbe.  It felt right.  And OK.  But somehow with you I wanted to be aware of the last time.  Wanted to take stock.  To remember the moment.

But last night I regretted my choice, you hollered when I put you to bed and I thought, at 10pm, that maybe I'd been mistaken, maybe it wasn't time, maybe you nor I was ready.  So I slid into your room and took you out of your crib and tried to feed you.  You didn't wake, not really, you just started to make a sweet sucking noise inside your mouth without actually opening your lips.  I tried to get you to open your lips.  I was the ridiculous mother stuffing her fingertip into her sleeping toddler's mouth because maybe I wanted to know that we were still connected, that my body was somehow still your body, that you needed me still in this most basic way.

But you wouldn't open your mouth.

So I went back to my own bed and sobbed.  Daddy tried to stroke my back but also I think Daddy thought I was a little nuts.  I thought I was a little nuts.
"We're never going to have any more babies," I sobbed.
"Matteus still doesn't talk yet," said Daddy.
"I know," I said, wiping snot on my sleeve, "but I mean we're old now.  This part of raising children.  It's done.  It's gone."
"Well, if you don't want it to be done you could get your IUD taken out," said Daddy.  Not helpfully.

I cried again after class today, driving down Olaf Avenue, the leaves skittering and scraping ahead of me.  Maybe I'm sad because you're a boy and I don't know if or how we'll have a close relationship as you get older.  Maybe I'm sad because I won't be able to offer you this source of comfort anymore, when you inevitably get sick (likely within 48 hours).  Maybe it feels like loss because today in class we read an essay about lynching and an essay about racial captivity and talked about the complexity of the world, victims becoming abusers, telephone poles turning into gallows and maybe the act of nursing just feels simple and straightforward and GOOD. 

When I started this post I wanted to work my way to an enlightened ending, wanted to find a way to make the sadness lessen or make feel more justified somehow.

But I think I needed a ceremony.  A way of stepping across this particular line, a way of marking this choice and this particular ending.  I'm not usually one for smoking sage or burning origami swans with "intentions" written on the wings of henna-ing my hoo-ha (I don't think that's actually a thing).

But this week I could have used a litany.  This week I wanted the strong hands of women near me.  This week I could have even used some floating tea lights bobbing in my bathtub, some imperfect sign of what it feels like to get go of something that doesn't have a name.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that exquisitely written, bittersweet experience, Kaethe. YES it is good to pay attention to this significant time. No need for hennaed hoo-ha (although intrigued by this prospect of one of the few woo woo things I have never tried!) , but I think your willingness to be present with what you are feeling is what is essential. Love to you and Matteus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings tears to my eyes. Yes, there is ritual lacking for this sacred transition, this crossing over from a luminal space where mother and child were still one in a profound way. When I weaned my two older sons, on that last day I told them each the story of how they came to be, how we wanted and loved them, how it had been an honor and privilege to nurse them. Maybe it would have seemed funny to someone to see a grown woman talking to a child that way, but I needed to tell their story to make that moment feel right. And of course I cried, too. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michelle and Laura, for these lovely thoughts. I love that you told your sons those things, Laura. And it helps to know you cried a lot, too. And you're right, Michelle, about the willingness to be present. I think because I didn't feel much weaning Thisbe that this grief has just really taken me by surprise. I like to be prepared for grief! :) Anyway, it's made me thankful for both of YOU, two people in my life that are very much all about creating/defining ritual and words for the moments that sometimes don't have a real voice. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the "last nunnie" with julia distinctly. It was a day before my surgery, and I had 4 days notice in which to wean her, (she was almost 3, and i thought abdominal surgery and squirming nurslings would be a bad combination) so i began telling her that soon we would have the last nunnie, tomorrow we will have the last nunnie, tonight we will have the last nunnie, and instead of nunnies, we could read books, rock and sing songs. I took some pictures, and drank in the moment, and then went on without much of a backwards glance, as i had other things to think about. months later I happened upon the photos and cried. not for her, as she adapted with nary a tear, but for me, for feeling forced into it, for the crappy circumstance, for the not knowing if there would be another one to nurse, for sadness at how quickly time marches on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Michelle and Laura, for these lovely thoughts.

    Cartoons for Kids

    ReplyDelete